According to campingship, Clatskanie, Oregon is a small city located in the northwest corner of the state. It has a population of around 3,000 people and is situated on the banks of the Columbia River. The city is surrounded by lush green forests, rolling hills, and rivers. Clatskanie experiences a temperate climate with mild winters and warm summers. Rainfall averages around 50 inches per year with snowfall ranging from 0-7 inches each winter.
The history of Clatskanie dates back to 1851 when settlers first arrived in the area. The city was incorporated in 1884 and was named after Chief Clatskanie who was a leader of the Chinook tribe. In more recent years, Clatskanie has become known as an agricultural center for timber production and other farming activities.
Politically, Clatskanie leans towards being conservative with most residents voting for Republican candidates in presidential elections. The economy of the city relies mainly on local businesses such as sawmills, retail stores, restaurants, and other services that support the local population as well as visitors to the area.
Schools in Clatskanie are part of the Central School District which consists of three elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and two alternative schools which offer programs for students with special needs or those seeking vocational training.
When it comes to landmarks there are many places to explore in Clatskanie including historic buildings such as churches that were built during the early days of settlement or museums such as The Columbia County Historical Society Museum which offers unique exhibits about local history and culture. Other areas worth visiting include parks like Trestle Park which offers stunning views along its walking trails or fishing spots like Coffee Creek where anglers can try their luck at catching steelhead trout or salmon from its waters.
Population: 1,528. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,631 (+6.7% change)
Males: 726 (47.5%), Females: 802 (52.5%)
Zip code: 97016
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $35,833
Median house value: $113,700
Races in Clatskanie:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.1%)
- Hispanic (3.3%)
- American Indian (3.0%)
- Two or more races (2.8%)
- Other race (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (25.3%), Irish (13.9%), English (11.3%), Norwegian (9.3%), United States (5.1%), French (4.1%).
Elevation: 33 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
Clatskanie, Oregon is a small city located in Columbia County, with a population of 1,717 as of the 2010 census. The population is made up mostly of Caucasian, Native American and Hispanic people. The median age of the population is 40 years old and the median household income is $39,375 per year. The majority of the population live in single-family homes and most are homeowners. The unemployment rate in Clatskanie is slightly above average at 6%.
The majority of Clatskanie’s economy comes from logging and timber related industries. Other sources include retail stores, restaurants, manufacturing and farming. The city also has a small fishing industry that provides jobs to many local residents. Education and health care are two other important sectors in Clatskanie’s economy with several schools and hospitals located in the area. There are also a few small businesses located throughout town that provide jobs for some local residents.
The city has a very active community with many clubs and organizations for both adults and children including youth sports teams, music programs, art classes, civic groups and more. There are also several parks and recreation areas which offer plenty of activities for people to enjoy such as swimming pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, walking trails and picnic areas among others. All these combine to make Clatskanie an ideal place to live for those looking for an affordable lifestyle with plenty of activities close by.
For population 25 years and over in Clatskanie
- High school or higher: 85.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Clatskanie city
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 53.8%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 9.7%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -66 (-4.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Clatskanie:
- HOSPICE CARE CENTER HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; LONGVIEW, WA)
- PEACEHEALTH ST JOHN MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; LONGVIEW, WA)
- COLUMBIA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; ASTORIA, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Clatskanie:
- ASTORIA REGIONAL (about 46 miles; ASTORIA, OR; Abbreviation: AST)
- PORTLAND INTL (about 56 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Abbreviation: PDX)
- OLYMPIA (about 63 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Abbreviation: OLM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Clatskanie:
- VERNONIA AIRFIELD (about 18 miles; VERNONIA, OR; Abbreviation: 05S)
- KELSO-LONGVIEW (about 23 miles; KELSO, WA; Abbreviation: KLS)
- SCAPPOOSE INDUSTRIAL AIRPARK (about 34 miles; SCAPPOOSE, OR; Abbreviation: SPB)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Clatskanie:
- LOWER COLUMBIA COLLEGE (about 16 miles; LONGVIEW, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,237)
- UNIVERSITY OF PORTLAND (about 48 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,683)
- CLARK COLLEGE (about 49 miles; VANCOUVER, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,106)
- PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 13,255)
- LEWIS AND CLARK COLLEGE (about 57 miles; PORTLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,795)
- GEORGE FOX UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; NEWBERG, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,032)
- SOUTH PUGET SOUND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,908)
Public high school in Clatskanie:
- CLATSKANIE MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 472; Location: 471 SW BEL AIR DR; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Clatskanie:
- CLATSKANIE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 442; Location: 815 S NEHALEM ST; Grades: KG – 06)